Friday, June 4, 2010

Goodbye Coach

I'm so sad to hear of John Wooden's passing. He is one of the people I truly admired, and he will be missed dearly. He achieved so much in sports, but also displayed unparalleled wisdom. If everyone pursued the same level of compassion, integrity, and humility in their own lives, this world would be a better place.

I remember before the home basketball game against USC my freshmen year, Coach was signing autographs in the bookstore. I thought this would be a great opportunity to meet a living legend of UCLA. When it was my turned I handed him my things to be signed. The rule was that Coach wouldn't address the signature to anyone, he would only sign his name. But when I got up there he looked at me and asked for my name. I am not sure why he did that for me, but I was touched and I hope he knew that.

No comments:

Post a Comment